Perhaps you have a check to cash, and you’re wondering: How much does it cost to cash a check at Walmart? When it comes to cashing checks, there aren’t many choices available to you. You could go to a check-cashing store or a bank, but they typically charge high fees – sometimes up to 10% of the check amount! Your last option allows you to cash the check at a Walmart store. Walmart offers to check cashing services for both personal and business checks, and they have a reasonable fee structure.
So, what does it cost to cash a check at Walmart? When cashing a check at Walmart, the cost varies depending on the check amount. For checks of $1,000 or less, a $4 fee is charged. For checks between $1,001 and $5,000, the fee is $8. And for checks of $5,001 or more, the fee is set at $10.
In this article, we’re going to answer the question, “What is the cost of cashing a check at Walmart?”. And we’ll discuss the benefits and restrictions that come with this option.
So, irrespective of whether you’re looking for a short-term solution or just want to have a little extra spending money on hand. Keep reading to know more about the intricate details related to cashing a check at Walmart.
Why use Walmart to Cash a Check at Walmart Store?
The Walmart store offers several advantages; let’s dive in.
- The entire process of cashing a paycheck at Walmart retail hardly takes up about a few of your minutes.
- Walmart has more locations than most banks, making it a more convenient option for getting money than the mom and pop-check-cashing stores.
- Walmart offers extended hours, allowing you to cash your check even later in the day.
- Walmart doesn’t require you to have an account with them in order to cash a check, meaning anyone can do it.
Things to Consider When Cashing a Check at Walmart
There are other things to remember when you’re cashing a check at Walmart.
- You’ll need to provide a valid ID document issued by the government. This could be a driver’s license. However, a passport will also be accepted.
- You must have an original check, as well as a completed and signed verification form.
- Ensure you have adequate funds in your bank account to cover the check amount.
How Much Does it Cost to Cash a Check at Walmart?
The cost of cashing a check at Walmart will depend on the check amount and whether or not you have a Walmart MoneyCard. If you don’t have a MoneyCard, then you’ll be charged a small fee to cash your check.
You’ll be liable for a fee of $4 when cashing checks of $1000 or less. For checks between $1001 and $5000, the fee is $8. And for checks over $5000, the fee is $6 plus 1% of the check’s value.
If you have a Walmart MoneyCard, then you can cash your check for free. That’s right – there are no fees whatsoever!
You could choose to use the card to buy something in the store, or you can take the money out at the cash register.
What are the Restrictions for Cashing Checks at Walmart?
There are a few restrictions for cashing checks at Walmart.
- The amount stipulated on the check must be written in U.S. dollars and payable in the United States.
- Only valid checks from a US bank or reputable financial institution will be accepted.
- The check cannot be post-dated or written on a foreign bank account.
- The check must be authorized by the recipient.
- The check amount cannot exceed $5000.
So, if you have a check that ticks all the boxes, you should have no problem cashing it at Walmart. Remember to bring your ID and verification form, and you’ll be good to go!
The Bottom Line
Cashing a check at Walmart is user-oriented and an affordable way to get your money. Just be sure to bring along all the necessary documentation and have enough money in your account to cover the check. Now that you know, it’s time to start planning your next shopping trip.