Does H Mart accept EBT cards? EBT-Electronic Benefits Transfer cards are a straightforward way to pay at stores that accept them. H Mart accept EBT cards? H Mart is a Korean-American supermarket company that offers the best of both worlds: an Asian supermarket full of many Western products.
It’s true, you can use your EBT card to make purchases at H Mart. On the other hand, EBT cards are not widely used on their website, but HMart.com claims they have lost their electronic transfer card, which is very confusing. Although the online store HMart.com does not accept them, H Mart physical stores accept groceries / EBT stamps.
What is an EBT card?
As you approach the grocery store, you may notice a sign that says, “We accept EBT cards.” This is a card with funds provided to you by the government’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Your benefit reload takes place on the same day every month, so you know when you’ll receive money to buy fresh food.
In essence, an EBT card is not dissimilar to a debit card. It is swiped to make food purchases at the cash register. The EBT card comes with an associated PIN number, the same as a debit card. In other words, when using the card, you’ll be asked to enter a PIN number.
There are a number of benefits to making purchases with an EBT card:
- Rollover: Whatever is left unspent on your card by the end of the month is carried over to the next month. And the money on your card can be rolled over for up twelve months from the date of its initial deposit.
- No Tax: When you use an EBT card to pay for groceries, no tax is added to your bill, saving you 2%.
- No waiting: Before the invention of the EBT card, one would have to wait for physical food stamps to be delivered. Now, food stamps are loaded directly to the EBT card and are, thus, available immediately for use.
- Available balance: You’ll know exactly how much is left on your card, as the balance is displayed on your receipt after each purchase.
- Check your balance at any time: Say you’re not sure what the balance is on your card. You could easily determine the amount available by contacting the EBT program’s customer service team. You’ll find their number at the back of your EBT card.
Does H Mart Accept EBT?
You can pay with an EBT card at most H- Mart shops. This information has been verified by H Mart stores in California, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Texas, Virginia, and H Mart’s corporate customer support department. EBT is accepted at all of the stores contacted.
Remember that EBT laws and SNAP-approved retailers differ from state to state. Before using your EBT card, you should contact your local H Mart or have a backup payment method on hand. H Mart Total Care may be reached at (877) 427-7386, or you can use the H Mart’s store locator to get the phone number for your nearest location.
Items that are EBT-Eligible
Several grocery items at H Mart can be purchased with an EBT card, including bread, meat, vegetables, fruit, snacks, and dairy products. You are not allowed to use EBT to purchase alcohol, tobacco, over-the-counter drugs, or household supplies. See our associated research for additional information on what you may and cannot buy with SNAP benefits.
Online Ordering Payment Options
When shopping on Hmart.com, the following are the only allowed payment methods:
- Debit cards bearing the logos of Mastercard or Visa
- Major credit cards are accepted (American Express, Discover, Mastercard, and Visa)
H Mart is a great place to go shopping. There is a wide selection of stuff you may need at the store.
Interested in finding out if other supermarkets accept EBT? Check out these articles.